So, if you want to get the skinny on the absolute best restaurants in Great Neck and don’t want to read through all the posts on this site, you’ve come to the right page. On this page I prioritize what I consider to be THE top 10 restaurants in Great Neck.
I base this on one simple question: do I absolutely, absolutely want to go back? In most cases, this means that I’ve given it a 5 or a 4.5 out of 5 stars in my review (which is conveniently linked if you want to read more about each restaurant).
- Peter Luger Steak House – The best steak in Great Neck, in New York, in the United States, and on Planet Earth.
- King’s Premium Seafood – The freshest sushi in Great Neck.
- Chez Kama – The most authentic sushi in Great Neck.
- Bareburger – An instant neighborhood gem.
- Royal Tea House – Classy, elegant place for tea, dessert, or a light gourmet meal
- Masago – Fancy Chinese fare
- La Rotonda – Great brick-oven pizza
- Era – All-you-can-eat Asian fare with shockingly high quality
- Kensington Deli – The best Kosher sandwiches on Long Island
- Elaines – Longstanding Chinese / Asian Fusion
I know that every site from TripAdvisor to Yelp to Google+ Local has their own top 10 list. But you’ve probably noticed that lists are severely hampered by the quality of the individual reviews, especially in a small town like Great Neck. One grumpy person whose waiter looked at them funny can give an otherwise great restaurant a one-star review and drive it down. Someone may review a restaurant only having gone to the bar. And restaurant owners and employees often prop up reviews. Top 10 lists from newspapers are no better. Many restaurants know who the reviewers are, and so they give them the best quality. Also, a reviewer will only go to a restaurant once, so their review is based on one tiny snapshot.
If you’ve read my blogs, you’ll know that I look at the most important things: cleanliness, service, ambiance, and most importantly how yummy the food is. And I’ll go back to the restaurant and update reviews up or down if the service or food quality changes.
Keep checking back, as I’ll continually update this list as I encounter new restaurants and re-visit old ones.
Agree with these picks? Disagree? Have any to add? Leave a comment below to let me know! (Although if you’re a restaurant owner or work for a restaurant, please “keep it real” by disclosing who you are…unlike with sites like Google Loca, comments from “shills” will be automatically filtered out!).